Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I HATED My Job Until I Found This One!

I HATED my job until I found this one!

There I was, taking my daily commute into Denver to the Heating and Air Conditioning shop. I had to drive 10 miles to work and those 10 miles took me an hour and a half on a good day. What a waste! Spend 3 hours of my day going to and from a job that I hated!

I did this day after day after day. Go to the sheet metal shop, bang out ductwork all day long and then come home. Then at the end of the week I would get a teeny tiny paycheck and barely made ends meet.

I had a boss that I absolutely didn’t get along with and a job that was going nowhere. I needed a job that challenged me. The thought of becoming a service technician and working on HVAC units was exciting. I approached the owner of the business and he turned me down flat.

Great….here I am stuck in this sheet metal shop for the rest of my life. Well, I had been in worse situations, so I thought I should stick it out. Besides, I had a family and needed to take care of them.

The days only got longer in the shop. My hopes for a way out moved further from my thoughts. I was beginning to settle into this job and tried to like it. It worked for a while, but the nagging inside returned and would not go away.

Something had to give. I had a great love for the outdoors and wildlife. This passion was more powerful than anything I could ever dream of doing for a career.

As a young man I spent my time hunting and catching animals and as much time in nature as possible. I practically lived in the woods! It was a fantastic hobby for me growing up in rural Indiana. I was about to turn this passion into something that would change my life forever.

Fate decided to intervene.

I received a call from a neighbor that was having a problem with squirrels getting into her attic. I had a live cage so I decided to see if I could help her out. I inspected her house and sure enough the squirrels had taken up residence in the attic. I baited my live cage and asked her to call me when I had a catch.

It wasn’t long before my phone rang with a catch! My first squirrel! I removed the squirrel and reset the trap and caught another one shortly after that.

When I was complete with the removal, she asked me to put a patch over the hole that the squirrel was getting in. I thought “sure, I can do that”.

Then the owner wanted to pay me for what I did. She asked me ”How much do I owe you?” I fiddled around for a minute and thought up an answer of “How about fifty bucks?” She wrote me out a check and I was on my way!

Wow! I just helped somebody out with a wildlife problem and got paid to do it! That is when the idea of a Nuisance Wildlife Management Business was born. I couldn’t believe that I could get paid to catch and remove wildlife!

I began to work this business part-time while I went to work at the job I hated. The hate for the sheet metal shop only got worse with each passing day and I knew I had to get this trapping business off the ground ASAP.

I started to get the word out about my little wildlife business and started getting calls for other types of problem ranging from a raccoon in a fireplace to skunks under porches.

The business grew and before I knew it there were four technicians working for me!

After some thought about how I could help others “who hated their job”, I decided to offer this service as a franchise. Now I could help someone start a business part-time and deliver them from that life of hating their job forever!

There is no sense in being miserable in your work when there are many other things you can do to make a living. Life is just too short to be miserable!

I too was one of those that hated their jobs and I know first-hand how that feels. You might love your job but don’t like the people you work with. It really lands you in the same situation.

Make a change this year that will change your life. You only have one life to live while you are here on earth. Make it your best one!

For more information about this fascinating career, visit http://www.aallanimalcontrol.com/franchise.cfm

No comments: